Sunday, January 15, 2012

Comparison

Of course, our comparison of the relatively rich conscious life of the human and that of the cat may at times appear misleading.   In a way, the richness of the "and" and the "or" pervades human consciousness.   My room is inundated with the "and" and the "or".  It is filled with objects, a queen sized bed, sheets and comforter, a desk, a TV, computers, recording equipment, loose papers, barbels, dressers, a chair, clothes including pants, socks etc.   While this may appear almost unbearably rich, in truth, human consciousness, like that of a cat, is largely intentional.  I'm drawn to my bed and plop down, exhausted, only semiconsciously aware of the other objects therein.
Perhaps, though, this semiconsciousness is a resource our fellow beasts lack.  When it is time to turn my attention from resting to another activity, I may scan the rich array of objects and directing my attention to those that suit my purpose.  Perhaps I have already established a set of goals or tasks yesterday, or at the beginning of the week, and relatively little scanning is required.   The activity of scanning through possible tasks and choosing those that are important to you, was done in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment